One of our best treatments to fight and possible eliminate cancer is: Hyperthermia. The definition: the elevation of the body temperature, for us in the medical area. But we all know it, in the most common type of hyperthermia there is: FEVER.
Fever is one of the body’s defense mechanisms, that is activated by external factors such as: infections, intoxications and internal factors such as: chronic diseases, like cancer. Fever has different symptoms, among them is hyperthermia. When these symptoms start to appear, our body knows that something is not right and there are two different scenarios:
- When our immune system is strong and healthy, it becomes hypersensitive and finds any cancer cells to be out of the ordinary and therefore kills them daily.
- There are times when our immune system doesn’t detect the cancer cells and the cancer spreads throughout the body.
Our Hyperthermia Cancer Procedure
For doctors, cancer is a possible combination of different diseases that are present in the body and together they form a tumor. The most important battle against cancer is fought at our cellular level, where the malignant cells are reproducing.
However, all cells have a weakness and in this case, cancer cells can´t take temperatures between 39 to 42 degrees Celsius, it generates stress in them. At our Functional Oncology Center, we can generate hyperthermia in the patient’s body in a controlled environment, monitoring their vital signals at every moment.
At this moment, the cell membrane of the malignant cells is unstable and permeable, making easy to penetrate the cell with a killing agent, to generate a better effect and results. In addition, hyperthermia induces the malignant cell to release surface antigens important for immune recognition and activation; this is a cardinal point for our therapies.
Types of hyperthermia:
- Regional: refers to the increase of temperature to hyper thermic levels of a single zone or area.
- Systemic: This is whole body hyperthermia, refers to the increase in temperature to hyper thermic levels over the entire body.
Our Systemic Perfusion Hyperthermia Technique
Our medical staff will perform a specific evaluation, to determine if this treatment is the best option for our patient, if they are in optimal condition and is it safe to perform. Our doctors have combined the principles used in cardiology and nephrology to build an advanced hyperthermia equipment, used specifically for our hyperthermia cancer treatment.
A specialist is creating the hyperthermia, so it is natural for the body to defend itself and fight to maintain the normal temperature. This is where the hyperthermia system of choice and its employment skills are of great importance. The system consists of a pump with a heater where the steady flow and temperature is determined by the physician but regulated by a computer, which leaves no room for human error.
The first step is to place a central two-sided catheter, which will allow us to obtain a high output and return flow, this catheter is placed in the left sub-clavian area and the catheter is connected to the hyperthermia system, once the system is connected and programmed, blood is pumped through the hyperthermia system which exits through the catheter to reach the heater and will gradually raise the temperature of the blood and later the whole body.
Yes, hyperthermia has proven to enhance the effect of chemotherapy or radiation, when combine with either of them. The positive results of randomize trials have establish hyperthermia in combination with chemotherapy as a novel clinical modality for the treatment of cancer. Hyperthermia targets the action of chemotherapy within the tumor heated region without affecting systemic toxicity.
Studies show there are great benefits when patients have a 2 to 4 hours session of constant and sustained hyperthermia.
- Rapid induction of hyper thermic state. Our perfusion system takes approximately 20 to 25 minutes maximum to reach the desired temperature.
- The patient is alert, avoiding the need for sedation due to heat intolerance and the prolonged time that it takes to carry out the therapy.
- The patient does not report any discomfort, allowing us to maintain therapeutic sessions for a much larger period, and hence, achieving in a single session, what would take us up to 8 sessions to achieve with other methods.
- It helps and improves muscle and bone pain; thanks to the immunomodulatory effect it brings.
- Physicians can control the patient’s core body temperature, something that cannot happen with other techniques.
The cost of a functional oncology alternative cancer treatments at our center is priced individually based on the specific needs of each cancer patient. To provide a general idea, prices can range from $24,000 to $35,000 USD for an 18 day treatment protocol, however not every patient will require the full 18 days or the same therapies so prices can vary. To get a better idea of exact pricing for a specific case, please fill out our free consultation form so that our team can get in contact with full details here.
At our Functional Center, our treatment protocol cost can take between 18 days to 25 days, according to each patient´s case. To learn how long will your Functional Oncology Treatment be, please fill out our medical form here.